http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1603637,00.html
I recommend reading this slightly outdated, one page article about twitter, especially if you are a "hater"
I just don't understand the hate. At first, I was so, so reluctant to tweet. I thought it was kind of silly, and I wasn't sure what others would think. Now quite frankly, I'm pretty addicted and could care less what people think about it. Twitter is fun and entertaining in its simplicity of form. You can "follow" friends, actors, whoever really, and their tweets show up on your home page where you can read them. Now, this may seem super pointless to people, but to me, and a few million other people, it is a most excellent diversion. There are plenty of facebook junkies out there and that is perfectly acceptable. Why not twitter? If anything, twitter is better to be "addicted" to because there is much less to do on the site. I spend a fairly short amount of time daily on twitter, yet publish several tweets, often from my iPod touch or mobile while on the go. It takes a few seconds to type, then its done. Also, you can use the sweet term "I just twatted" to describe tweeting in the past tense. I find that rather enjoyable, even if it isn't overly appropriate.
Now, if twitter isn't your thing, that's totally ok with me. Some people just don't want to asnwer that ever looming question, "what are you doing?" and that is perfectly alright. I happen to like answering that ever present question and do so several times daily. I keep up with random things about a few friends and check out cool links that a few people I follow post. My simple pleasures of tweeting don't affect a single twitter-hater but I seem to receive a fair amount of grief for it. If you don't like it, don't tell me about it. Why waste your time preaching to a not so captive audience? If it was something harmful, then maybe the hate is warranted, but twitter is most certainly harmless. You may say that it turns your brain to mush, but I believe facebook is far higher on the brain degradation scale. Social networking; more like Social Notworking. These wonderful diversions are simply a result of the technology age, and I welcome them. Tech is kinda my thing, and if you have a problem with that, I'm sure there are plenty of other luddites out there you can complain to. But please, spare me your wasted breath and leave my silly pastimes alone.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're so sarcastic and right. Very nice.
ReplyDelete"Social notworking" I like a lot. Well done. :)