Ever listen to a song, I mean really listen to it, then something hits you like a ton of bricks? Whatever it is that hits you is almost an ethereal, spiritual feeling. It is a feeling that can't accurately be put into words, but it succeeds in putting everything out of your mind. All you hear is the voice, the guitar, the whatever. All that matters at that moment in the universe is what you are listening to. Everything else is dropped, you don't need it. I don't know why it happens or how I happened upon this feeling, but I just experienced it.
I'm currently working on my Architecture portfolio and listening to an album I had listened to completely several times before. For me, this album is incredible and my current favorite, but to most people it is nothing extraordinary. Something however, strikes me about this album and I have been listening to it a lot lately. There are several emotionally and politically charged songs, but one especially I listened to. It is called "Citizen Go Back To Sleep." For the many previous times I had listened to this album - called Rust by No, Really - I had not been too affected by anything else. This time, the ninth track on the ten track album, "Thousand Yard Stare," absolutely slayed me. It was the experience I mentioned above. The lyrics, the powerful voice, the pounding piano and the rhythmic and simple guitar. That's it. I was encompassed by chills and emotion. I don't know the full meaning of these feelings. It was that 'hear it once, gotta hear it a million times' feeling, but there was something else there as well. As I continue to try and figure out exactly what this song speaks of, and what triggered my burst of emotion, I recommend you check out this album for yourself.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/7365
I suggest you download it and listen to the whole thing. This is my current favorite album, hands down. Pure, beautiful, simplicity. That's it. I find it to be very powerful that so much is done with so little. Especially listen to track nine, "Thousand Yard Stare."
If you happen to read this and listen to the songs. Please, tell me what you think. Am I crazy? Do you agree? Do you feel something else? I want to know. Maybe I'm crazy, but something about this song/album really got to me. I hope you check it out and maybe discover something about yourself as well.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment