Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This blog: An evil plot to destroy the internets

I for one, found this hulu comercial to be very funny. Along with its overall cleverness, I particularly liked the scene where it shows Alec Baldwin, and the man whose brain is being gelatinized, in alternating frames laughing manaically. I don't know why, but things like that just inspire myself to laugh. Anyway, moving on to the more boring stuff, the analysis...

The quote: "hulu, an evil plot to destroy the world. Enjoy" really got me laughing. This phrase, at a glance, can mean many different things. To someone so naive, it could really mean, that hulu is an evil empire that should scare the shit out of you. Or, it could mean that they have a sense of humor. I hope that most people can differentiate these two. Beyond that aspect even, this line reveals even more. It almost blatantly shows who the target audience of hulu really is; teens and young adults. For must of us, if we showed our parents this comercial, they would probably enjoy it, but to our classmates, the level of appreciation is a bit higher. The whole theme of brains being 'gelatinized' seems pretty kooky and immature, and that is just the right type of humor for their audience. I mean, take a look at most 18-24 year olds YouTube favorites lists, and you'll get my drift. Hulu has mass appeal to the market whose mass appeal is the internet. Us.

So much time is spent on the internet in this day and age. Hulu is just another company capitalizing on this online revolution, and offering a very handy service. The video makes mention of turning off your computer and television as a silly notion, and sadly, it is. So maybe our brains are turning to mush after all, and this whole 'internet' thing is just an evil plot. How interesting. You can think about it if you like, I'm gonna go back to enjoying my jaded life with a brain of mush.


My YouTube Video of the Day:

7 comments:

  1. Good job analyzing hulu's tagline and how it says all that you need to know about the site and it's audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good analysis of their sarcasm and how they reached their target audience through humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and I found it pretty hilarious as well. I like how you brought up that television is making our brains turning into mush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good analysis. I thought you explained who was the target audience perfectly. I also found my self at that scene you mention in the first paragraph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "hulu, an evil plot to destroy the world. enjoy" comment was funny because i was reading some of the comments on the actual video and some girl was saying that aliens really are taking over the world. I suppose she could have been joking but it seemed really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on the target audience and I also thought it was a pretty funny commercial also. The sarcasm was funny and caused the viewer to be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. I like how you analyzed Hulu's target audience. I agree with you also, finding this hilarious.

    ReplyDelete